Saturday, December 7, 2019

Fun with WhatsYourWhisky

ICYMI - Diageo created a survey asking the user to rate their preferences on 11 different foods and will then provide three whiskies they think the user might like.  Its called WhatsYourWhisky and a link is here.

The user can rate each of their preferences on a 5-point scale for the following flavors:  Smoke, Chilis, Cinnamon Apple Pie, Dried Apricots, Orange Juice, Fresh Ginger, Bananas, Vanilla Ice Cream, Pina Colata, Raisin Bran Cereals, and Treacle.  WhatsYourWhisky will then generate 3 Diageo single malts you may enjoy (no Johnnies).

My Preferences
I like smoky whiskies and I like fruity whiskies. And if available a smoky fruity whisky (like Lagavulin 12).  But usually I'm more in the more for one over another.   So the first time I took the survey I assumed I was in a smoky mood, and the second time I assumed a sweet, fruity mood.

My smoky whiskies: Talisker 18, Caol Ila 12, Lagavulin 12
My fruity whiskies: Cardhu 15, Dahlwhinnie 15, Mortlach 20

The specific scores for each flavor can be found in the table at the end of this post.  I would have said the Lagavulins are fruity... but maybe that's just compared to Ardbeg and Laphroaig.  Haven't had any of these fruity whiskies, but I'll look into them.

I should note that 1) I don't like banana flavors in whisky so I gave bananas a 1 even for the fruity whisky, and 2) the German version uses "muesli" for the cereal while the English version uses either Raisin Bran or Bran cereals, depending on the translation.  I'm not a big fan of raisins but I do like muesli.  Which should I pick?  I decided to go with 5's for both because I do like a good branny whisky!


My Daughter's Choice
To be clear, I didn't see this survey and immediately go running into my daughter's room.  I'm just putting it first because its the most entertaining result!  Her outcome surprised me - Talisker 10, Caol Ila 12, and Talisker 18.  I didn't believe it.  No way she'd like the smoky whiskies.  So... I went and poured a small dram of the Caol Ila Distiller's Edition and told her to take a small sniff.  Like a good father, I cautioned her not to stick her nose as far a she could into the Glencairn as she could, but rather to hold it a bit away and take a light sniff first.  I expected her to recoil, but nope, her eyes lit up and a big smile crossed her face.  Just one more thing this Dad is excited about!

Across the Board
I also explored what happens if you give each flavor the same score.
All 5: Talisker 18, Lagavulin 12, Caol Ila 12
All 4: Talisker 18, Talisker 10, Talisker Skye
All 3: Singleton 12, Glenkinchie 12, Mortlach 20
All 2: Cardhu Gold Reserve, Singleton Malt Master's Selection, Dahlwhinnie Winters Gold
All 1: Singleton 15, Singleton Malt Master's Selection, Dahlwhinnie Winter's Gold

Well, I already knew I prefer strong, flavorful whiskies over more delicate whiskies.  Of those listed here, Lagavulin 12 is one of my all time favorites, and Talkiskers 18 and 10, and Caol Ila 12 all have good showings in my rankings.  But I haven't had any of the others... but now I'm a bit curious to see how much I'd like one of these more delicate whiskies.

When it comes to all around flavorful whisky, Lagavulin 12 is certainly one of them but I'm surprised to see Caol Ila 12 in the same echelon.  Sure Caol Ila 12 has a bit of everything, but not like Lag 12.  (It's been a while since I've had either Talisker so I can't confidently comment on their profiles.)

Where Are My Favorites?
I played around with this survey a few more times, each time trying to put myself in a different mood to see what I'd get.  But two whiskies kept alluding me.  Where were Lagavulin 16 and Cragganmore 12?  They are two of my gotos so I assumed they'd come up within the first few times I took the survey... but nope.  So I went searching for them.

Tasting notes are a personal thing aren't they?  Reviewers and bloggers talk about developing your palate for whisky, how you might taste something different then the person sitting next to you, and of course it also depends on what you may have had to eat recently.  Now I've been drinking whisky for about 12 years and like to think I have a rather refined palate.  When tasting with my friends I can pick out more than they can.

...I also remember that I have an excellent memory and am sure I remember the flavor of these whiskies... that was said sarcastically.

Even with the knowledge of a false memory and uncertain translation between that memory and the flavor profile of Lag 16 and Cragganmore 12, I was still surprised how long it took me to pick the right combination of flavors to pull these two out of the survey.  It took me about 15 different attempts, but I finally found them.

Here's a table summarizing my results.
General ProfileSmokeYESNOYESNONOMine - SmokyMine FruityDaugtherWifeCragganmore 12
chili/gingerneutralneutralYESYESneutral
fruitNOYESNOYESYES
sweetsneutralneutralneutralneutralYES
cereals neutralneutralneutralneutralneutral
FlavorsSmoked5151151443
Chili3155341133
Ginger3355343444
Ice Cream3333555535
Treacle3333555523
Apple Pie1515555523
Dried Apricot1515555235
OJ1515533522
Bananas1515511524
Pina Colatas1515533422
Raisin Bran3333355334
ResultsLagavulin 16DalwhinnieLagavulin 16Mortlach 20Dalwhinnie Winter's GoldTalisker 18Cardhu 15Talisker 10Talisker 10Mortlach 20
Talisker SkyeCardhu 15Lagavulin 12Cardhu 15Cardhu 15Caol Ila 12Dahlwhinnie 15Caol Ila 12Talisker 18Cragganmore 12
Lagavulin 12Mortlach 20Talisker SkyeDalwhinnie Winter's GoldMortlach 12Lagavulin 12Mortlach 12Talisker 18Caol Ila 12Singleton 12

1 comment:

  1. Just checking my blog to make sure the comment section is working...

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive