Saturday, July 14, 2018

Best Whisky Bar Ever



Jack Rose in DC is phenomenal.  It has the best whisky selection in the western hemisphere and back that up with great food as well.  It’s where I take people from out of town.  I could go on listing Jack Rose’s accolades, but I don’t think I really need to.

It was pretty much the best ever.

Then I was taken to Rupps.  

I honestly debated not posting about Rupps so I could keep it all to myself and keep it from being overrun.  But then I remembered that no one reads this blog.  Rupps is combines the feel of a townie bar with a whisky selection that can compare to Jack Rose.  It is small and dark with the exception of a well lit whiskey display.  The seating area consisting of a few tables and walls decorated with books and board games is dim and besides a couple token light bulbs is lit by the light overflow from the bar.  It is old and well worn which is often associated with dirty, but there isn’t anything that I would have actually said wasn’t clean.

But let’s get to the whisky.  We had two rounds of drinks.  I started off comparing a dram of Glenmorangie Astar to Cragganmore 12 while my friends tried an Ardmore 12 and dram of Springbank 10.  Now, I didn't want to be that guy, so I didn't study the drams the way I normally would.  Please pardon my brevity below... it is brevity in the name of keeping good company!

Glenmorangie Astar - This was like Glenmorangie Original on steroids.  For example, while the Original has a nice GREEN apple on the nose, the Astar has a GREAT GREEN APPLE on the nose.

Cragganmore 12 - This is one of my old goto's and I picked it to compare to the Astar.  This continues to be one of my favorites... there is something there that keeps bringing me back.  Maybe sometime in the near future I'll pick up another bottle and try to figure out exactly what it is.

Ardmore 12 - With a nice soft peat, this one reminded me much of the bottle of Bowmore I had opened at home.

Springbank 10 - This was the epitomy of scotch for one of my friends.  He appreciated the saltiness, maybe it was mental, but I tasted it too.  I liked it enough to put it on the short list of scotches for my wife to pick up when she's at a liquor store without me.

Then, then, one of my friends said "I want to try this peat thing".  She wasn't really into peat, so I wanted to give her a good introduction, not just of how amazing it could be but also a norm.  So I went back to the menu with the intent of picking a standard peaty scotch such as 10 Yr Ardbeg or Laphroaig (the norm), and something else similar that could serve as an example (of how good it could be).  When my eye fell on the word "Laphroaig" with the number "18" after it my composure somewhat broke down.  "Wait, do you really have the Laphroaig 18" I asked. "Yeah, but it is kind of expensive, maybe 10-12 Euro" said the bartender.  In my head - "I'll take the entire bottle"; Outloud, composure winning: An equivocal head bob and a vocal "Ok".  (Aside: Apparently the bartender has been there forever and knows everything about whiskey, except bourbon.  See below.)

Laphroaig 18 - Everything I expected it to be but best encapsulated by Andy - "It's an honest whisky, it's finish is the same as the nose".  Brilliant!  He's right, they are the same, there's no surprises.  What you smell is what you get - a clean, fresh peat.

Laphroaig 10 - An excellent dram, but not honest :)

It didn't end.  My friends then brought out the last of their two bottles of "Metze's Medley", a blend of Lawrenceburg IN ryes blended specially for a United Way Auction a few years ago.  This bottle had been opened for a while.  My impression is that when something is open for a while it is a bit harsh yet this was one of the smoothest whiskies I've had.  It wasn't as spicy as many ryes but it had a very nice sweetness.  My friends then bowed out, it was a Thursday and I just needed to catch a flight the next day.

But... I still wasn't done.  I stayed for another drink.  I was in the mood for a bourbon, but surprisingly the bourbon selection was rather small, I was surrounded by whiskies, but the bourbon selection was relegated to one small shelf in the corner and was about as complex as the local liquor store from my hometown of 20,000.  My friends has said the bartender had been there forever and knew everything about her bar so I asked her what was up.  I don't really like bourbon was her reply.  What's your recommendation I asked.  Hmm.. well...  I interrupted by asking her what her go to was.  Ardbeg Uidigail.  I don't exactly remember what she said but it ended with her saying "and then it gets you up here" as she held her thumb and middle finger to either side of her face where the jaw meets the skull.  I'll have one of those I said.  She also said she liked the sweetness of Laphroaig Triple Cask.  Really, a sweet Laphroaig?  (Turns out she was right, but that is a different revelation.)

Then, after my Ardbeg Uidigail, which tasted like Ardbeg, I went back to my hotel and packed for my trip home the next day.

That was my first trip to Rupps and I've been back every chance I get since.

By the way, did I mention it is also a vegan place?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive